If you are a cross country skiing fan, you know how important it is to have warm, dry, and cozy hands. Whether you enjoy XC skiing as a recreational activity with your family and close friends, or you want to pursue it as a competitive sport – it is very important to have the right gear with you. And often the first thing we think about when considering a XC tour is if we have a good pair of ski gloves. They are crucial, not just because they keep our fingers warm and mobile, and to avoid cold hands, but also because if we have an improper or inadequate piece of clothing, we can cause irreversible harm to our hands as well as our overall selves.
While skiing, our hands are crucial in gripping, balancing, and navigating. Just because you have a good pair of gloves for a winter sport does not necessarily mean it will be a perfect fit in your kit. For XC skiing, you need proper coverings to keep those precious fingers, nails, and palm cozy and comfy, while keeping in mind the dexterity factor that comes with good gloves. And since you sweat while you exercise your body over the snowy slopes, you must have a breathable glove that keeps your hands properly ventilated and dry. For all these reasons, you must invest in a good quality cross country skiing glove for a good price that can protect you from the extreme weather.
Who Should Get This?
A good XC ski glove can help a lot of people indulging in various winter activities. You need such an item if you enjoy doing one or more of the activities stated below:
- XC skiing (recreational or competitive)
- Sledding (also known as tobogganing)
- Snow tubing
- Snowmobiling (also referred to as riding motor sled)
- Ice skating
- Ski mountaineering missions
- Winter work just ask shoveling snow, riding a bike, etc.
Factors to Consider while Buying Cross Country Ski Mittens
Whatever winter sport you are a big fan of, extreme weather requires extreme measures, i.e., using extremely reliable gear. There are many factors you need to consider while going for your perfect gloves. Make sure they qualify for all these factors before you make the final purchase. Once you are on the hill-top ready to ski, there is no turning back! And you would not want to cut your valuable ski trip short just because you did not prepare yourself properly with the necessary gear, would you?
Consider the following factors while buying your cross-country ski glove. An ideal item should have all these factors (no compromises), along with many additional features that different brands offer.
There are two main types of insulation techniques used in cross-country ski mittens:
Down insulation is light, long-lasting, breathable, and easy to compress. It is more expensive than synthetic insulation but provides a good value for money as it adds life to your product. The synthetic insulation is a relatively less expensive option. It is especially great during damp climates as it dries quite quickly. Although synthetic insulation may not be as compressed as down, it is still a great choice and many leading cross country ski gloves go for great quality synthetic insulations.
You do not buy skiing gloves every month, so whatever you decide to buy, make sure it is of great quality and durability, so it lasts for many snowy winters. Also, you do not want your gloves to rip off in the middle of your adventure and leave you with freezing hands and numb fingers, do you? For this reason, durability is an important factor that you need to consider while opting for your XC ski glove.
A waterproof ski glove is a must-have, particularly in areas where the snow is not as dry and touching it can result in wet hands and numb fingers. How can you have a proper handgrip when you have numb fingers? For this reason, it is very important to go for a glove that is made of good quality waterproof, snow proof and ice proof material to make sure your ski adventure is not cut short due to inconvenience.
Your ski gloves need an extra layer of warmth that adds to the comfort of your gloves as well as protects its insulation factor. This layer of synthetic material is called a glove liner or lining. A glove liner has moisture-absorbing capabilities to keep your hands dry. A good quality liner helps you put the gloves on and off rather quickly. Some of them have removable (and hence washable) liners whereas in some cases you can buy liners separately for additional warmth and snug.
Your ideal glove needs to have an element of proper ventilation, i.e., it should be made using a breathable material. When your ski gloves are made from a breathable material, any sweat or moisture inside the glove can escape, keeping your hands sweat-free and dry. An item with ventilation facilitates airflow keeping fingers and palm comfortable and improving the grip.
Some skiers find a certain glove feature very practical while others may disagree. So, while purchasing your backcountry ski gloves, make sure you consider the following additional features and see which features you can live without and which are a must-have.
- Wrist cords to secure your gloves.
- Zippered pockets at the back of the glove to put in keys, money, or glove liners.
- Nose-wipe panel on your thumb for times when your nose starts to drip.
- Long cuffs that extend over your sleeves to prevent wind and snow from getting inside.
- Leather palms for a better grip and long-lasting quality.
Best 10 Cross Country Ski Gloves
Not everything warm is comfortable and not every comfortable set of gloves is ideal for your XC skiing adventure. Therefore, we have come up with ten best options for you to consider while buying your perfect ski glove. You can only enjoy cross country skiing for as long as you are warm and comfortable.
1. Barnett NBG-03 Cross-Country Ski Gloves +5°/-10°C
Whether you are a XC ski buff, or you love to cycle in cold temperature and are worried about the wind-break factor, the Barnett NBG-03 will keep your hands fully protected from cold temperatures and wind. They are made from neoprene material that keeps water, ice, and snow from penetrating inside, hence, keeping your fingers warm, dry, and perfectly flexible.
The Barnett NBG-03 have a great ventilation system that takes care of your sweat inside the glove. These ski gloves are available in many size variations, so no matter how big or small your hands are, you can grab the perfect fit for yourself. These items have a perfect fit making you enjoy your ski experience with all the hand movements and grip you want.
- Waterproof, snow proof, and windproof.
- Thermal insulation.
- A large variety of sizes from XS to XXL.
- Perfect for temperatures between 5° C to -10° C.
- They are not as durable as many other items that are out there in the market.
2. Barnett NBG-05 Cross Country Skiing, Cold Conditions -20°/+0°C
Comfortable, cozy, and with excellent grip – these features will pop up in your mind when you describe the attractive looking Barnett NBG-05. Whether you are going out on a XC ski adventure, or plan to enjoy a bike ride in cold chilly evenings, these gloves are everything you need.
The Barnett NBG-05 are excellent for extremely cold conditions from -20° C to 0° C. These ski gloves are made from the Japanese giant Clarino Amara leather which is a great quality synthetic leather that ensures that these items are durable and waterproof at the same time. The Pittard Cabretta palm and wind blocker at the back of your hand provides the smoothness and comfort your hands need to make sure they are cozy and comfortable and can have a good strong grip at anything they hold.
- The gloves use great quality Japanese artificial leather Clarino Amara which ensures water resistance.
- Pittards Cabretta along with microfiber fleece lining provides great comfort and warmth at the back of the hand.
- Great value for money factor.
- A large number of sizes available from XXS to XXL.
- They may appear to be on the compact size so you may want to get one size larger than your current glove size (in case you are not sure).
3. Marmot Power Stretch Connect Glove
You may be able to find a warm and comfy glove, but not all of them are practical to be used in daily ski adventures. What if you want to text a friend your location, or check for some weather updates? Not to mention that you will come across a large number of breathtaking scenes while sloping your way, but not every glove can be used on your smartphone – unless you opt to take the gloves off, risk freezing your fingers, and try to take a picture from numb fingers. A better alternative is to get yourself the Marmot Power Stretch Connect Gloves that provide a much-needed touch screen compatibility.
These gloves can be used in different kinds of winter activities. Their free-flow stretching fit lets you move your hands naturally. The moisture-wicking technology keeps your hands dry and fingers moving, making the Marmot Power Stretch Connect Gloves ideal for you.
- Touch-screen compatibility.
- Free flow stretch-fit.
- 3-Dimensional moisture-absorbing technology is perfect for keeping your hands dry and comfortable.
- All-purpose gloves that are ideal for winter activities.
- None reported yet.
4. Hestra Windstopper Ergo Grip Touring Glove
If quality is your number one priority, then go for Hestra Windstopper Ergo Grip Touring Gloves the next time you go for cross-country skiing. They are extremely durable where the outer cover is made of 100% polyester which features Hestra’s three-layered interlock polyester fabric. The stretch material uses 70% polyester with a 30% polyurethane. It guarantees to keep your fingers protected from cold and dampness and works as a great wind stopper protecting your hands from the extreme chilly environment factors.
These gloves are ideal for men and are beautifully designed and aesthetically stitched. Since there is no excess material in the palm area and the seams are placed where the hand naturally flexes, the Hestra Windstopper Ergo Grip Touring Gloves will fit you perfectly well. The elastic band around the wrist is comfortable and keeps your hands safe from any kind of ice, snow, dampness, and wind.
Hestra Windstopper Ergo Grip Touring Glove is your ideal winter buddy when you go on Nordic adventures, combatting extreme weather and providing you with maximum comfort.
- 3-layer interlock polyester fabric – 100% polyester
- Water and wind repellent, and breathable with a moisture-wicking lining.
- Machine washable.
- Expensive but great quality and practicality.
5. Swix Star XC 2.0 Men’s Ski Gloves
If you are looking for great quality cross country ski mittens for men, consider the features offered by the Swix Star XC 2.0. The glove has light insulation (provided by PrimaLoft®) which is ideal for winter sports and activities providing warmth, comfort as well as breathability to your fingers. You will be amazed at how well they fit your hands as they are specially designed keeping in mind the flexibility of your hands and fingers. Specially designed to cozy up your skin, the Lycra upper provides a 4 way stretch in key zones and offers excellent elasticity.
Swix Star XC 2.0 are ideal for your cross-country adventures, and not just skiing, you can enjoy a wide range of activities like snowshoeing, cycling, etc. The neoprene and acrylic used in the upper side of the cuffs offer a great fit along with extra durability. These gloves are a breeze to put on and off and provide you with the best possible grip.
- It boasts PrimaLoft ® insulation which gives warmth, comfort, and ventilation to your hands.
- Excellent fit and grip due to performance-based Amara palms.
- Lycra provides exceptional elasticity.
- Easy to put on and take off.
- Pre-curved fingers.
- 2×2 hybrid cuffs have acrylic on the palm-side and neoprene cuff on the upper side, providing you with durability as well as a great fit.
- Dries quickly.
- The long cuffs cover wristwatch which could be an inconvenience for some.
6. Arc’teryx Venta Glove
The Arc’teryx Venta Gloves are elegant ski gloves that are made from great quality breathable fabric by Gore® Windstopper® with high-loft fleece so that your hands remain dry, warm, and comfortable, and you enjoy your winter activities to the max.
The outer cover of the glove provides you with complete weather protection with a durable water repellent finish that repels snow, ice, wind, and water. The inner lining of the Arc’teryx Venta Glove is stretchable and warm and keeps your fingers fully flexible. The Arc’teryx Venta Gloves has seam-free fingertips to provide a natural grip, along with polyurethane palm reinforcements to increase durability.
Equipped with the latest technology, the thumb and forefingers have sensors that facilitate the use of smartphones. So, if you need to text a friend or capture a breathtaking memory, the touchscreen can be easily used with your cross-country ski gloves on. The result: no freezing fingers and shaking hands. The Arc’teryx Venta Gloves are unisex and chic, so anyone who prefers style and quality can have them!
- Touch-screen compatibility.
- Water repellent, snow repellent, and windproof.
- Seam-free fingertips.
- Provide excellent fit and comfort as they use stretchable fabric with anatomic shaping.
- Stylish unisex design.
- The glove has a clip-in loop to easily attach to a carabiner.
- Cuffs are not very comfortable and elastic while putting the gloves on and off.
7. Dakine Men’s Titan Gloves
The Dakine Men’s Titan Glove is perfect for your cross-country ski adventures as they have durable shells and firmly gripping palms. They protect your hands from snow, ice, and water with their amazing GoreTex® waterproof and ventilation technology, making your experience warm, dry, and comfortable.
Ideal for all kinds of snow sports, the Dakine Men’s Titan Gloves have high-loft synthetic insulation along with tricot linings for natural next-to-skin comfort. The outer shell is made of Nylon and Polyester that make your glove durable and protect them from water and other factors. The Rubbertec synthetic palms let you hold on to whatever you want – featuring an amazing no-slip grip. The Dakine Men’s Titan Glove has a removable fleece liner and you can wash the stretchable fleece liners by easily removing them from your glove.
There is a waterproof stash pocket on each glove where you can put your hand warmers (which you can buy separately) or other important stuff like keys and money. The nose-wipe thumb panels are a very practical addition to your items. The Dakine Men’s Titan Gloves are available in three shades and a vast range of sizes from XS to XXL.
- Waterproof zippered pockets for hand warmers.
- Removable and washable fleece liners.
- The soft fabric on thumb panels can be used to wipe your nose.
- Stretchable fleece liners can be used on touchscreens.
- Waterproof, snow-proof, and wind-resistant.
- High-loft insulation that keeps your hands warm, dry, and comfy.
- None reported yet.
8. Black Diamond Punisher Cold Weather Gloves
The Black Diamond Punisher Cold Weather Gloves can be your perfect sports buddy on your cross-country ski trips as well as many other winter sports. They offer a strong nonslip grip perfect enough to climb mountains and dexterity to tie knots in extremely cold temperatures. These pieces of clothing are very durable and will take care of your hands in many winter activities to come, punishing the extreme cold weather – as the name indicates.
The Black Diamond Punisher Cold Weather Gloves have a fixed liner that protects it from wet ice, snow, and water. The glove lining is 100% polyester that provides the comfort and coziness your body needs in extreme winter sports. The EVA paddings protect your knuckles from accidental bashing. The outer shell is made of 92% Nylon along with 8% Spandex that provides it with excellent 4-way elasticity. The palm of the glove is made from pure goatskin.
It is available in Black color with a wide variety of sizes from XS to XXL.
- Excellent quality made from goatskin, Nylon, Polyester, and Spandex.
- Amazing dexterity.
- Fixed breathable lining.
- Waterproof, snow-proof and windproof shell.
- You may find it to be a tight snug at times, so if you are not sure about the size, go for a size bigger glove.
9. Mountain Hardwear High Exposure Gore-Tex Gloves for Men
Whether you are familiar with your cross-country skiing location or are heading with your skis towards an exciting unknown territory, you need to be fully prepared for the worst weather nature can throw at you. Windstorms, icy terrain, extreme snow, slopes and so much more. What keeps your hands protected with these extreme elements are the Mountain Hardwear High Exposure Gore-Tex Gloves for Men.
They boast a two-layered Gore-Tex® material which is light, windproof, waterproof (with DWR finish – durable water repellent) and breathable. The pre-curve design is great for enhancing comfort by enabling your fingers and palm to maintain their natural positions. It also prevents any kind of restriction when you move your hand, so your hand has the best grip it can get.
An ideal cross-country ski glove should have dexterity as well as warmth, and these features are provided by the PrimaLoft® insulation as it delivers extra heating mechanism no matter what the outside temperature is, without bulking-up the glove to compromise on its grip, precision, and dexterity. The synthetic insulation has 65% polyester and 35% recycled polyester.
The palms of the Mountain Hardwear High Exposure Gore-Tex Gloves are made of goatskin leather along with 330-denier plain Nylon that adds to its natural durability. The Gore Grip® technology neatly binds the internal layers to give you the maximum fuss-free and bulk-free grip you can get.
- Great dexterity without any stiffness.
- Double layered Gore-Tex® material – windproof, waterproof, and snow proof.
- Internal layers provide a nonslip feature to provide the maximum grip.
- Prima Loft® insulation reduces excessive material and makes the gloves super warm and cozy.
- Men’s ski gloves are available in many sizes and two attractive styles: Black and Dark Army.
- You may find the size a bit smaller than your usual sizes. If unsure, go for one size larger than your actual size.
10. MCTi Waterproof Men’s Ski Gloves
The MCTi Waterproof Men’s Ski Gloves are gaining more popularity with each passing day due to their ability to cope with the extreme winters at a very good price providing the value-for-money factor not many gloves offer. These gloves are a great natural fit supplying with the comfort and dexterity every cross-country skier craves for.
The MCTI Gloves are extremely warm due to their 40 grams of 3M Thinsulate™ insulation along with 140 grams of warm cotton insulations. As a result, your hands remain warm and cozy even when the temperature goes as low as -20° F. The intelligent design holds your body heat inside them while letting moisture escape so you get dry and comfortable hands.
Having a water-resistant and wind repellent external shell, your hands are fully protected from external factors such as water, snow, ice, and wind. The rubber fingers of the MCTi Waterproof Men’s Ski Gloves are strong, flexible, and provide a great fit. These men’s gloves are durable and lightweight. One of the features that stand out is the zippered pocket where you can put in your liners, money, tissue-napkin, card, or keys. In short, these are some great mittens that you can buy for yourself and gift a loved one.
- Stash pocket lets you carry money, card, or keys.
- Great price for the quality and functionality it offers.
- A thumb panel for wiping your nose.
- Windproof, waterproof, snow proof, and ice proof outer shell.
- Adjustable wrist straps provide a good fit.
- Reinforced fingertips along with soft palm which is flexible and durable to use.
- Ideal for temperature as low as -25° Celsius or -13° Fahrenheit.
- It is better to air-dry them if they are wet from inside, as drying takes time due to thick insulation.
- Not compatible with touchscreens.
While looking for your ideal gloves, make sure they are versatile. It is great to have a durable and practical pair of them for all your winter activities – not just for sports. Whether you want to shovel the snow, ride a motorbike in winter, enjoy winter sports, or spend some quality time enjoying the winters – a good pair of ski gloves are all you need to make your time cozy and memorable.