As an avid cross country skier, I tried several headbands; here is my take on each of them.
10 Best Nordic Ski Headbands
1. Smartwool Merino 250 Reversible Headband
I have long been wearing polyester headbands, but I invested in two woolen headbands this time. I wore the Smartwool Merino 250, recommended by many. I loved the double layer and interlock knit construction, which increased the product’s warmth and stretchability. I can farely say that it provides the most warmth among most of the products I personally tested in this roundup.
It was also one-size-fits-all, so I didn’t have to think twice before buying it. The headband’s clean and seamless finish make it even more comfortable to wear. An added bonus, that compared to some tight headbands, this merino wool product hasn’t affected my use of earphones at the slighest.
- Double layer Interlock knit construction
- Clean finish seams for bulk-free fit
- Reversible design for variety
- Knit in Vietnam: 100% Merino Wool
- Garment Weight: 30 g = 1.06 oz
2. Smartwool Merino Sport Fleece Wind Training Headband
At the same time, my friend who I like to ski with has been using this lightweight and comfortable headband for quite some time now. The Merino Sport Fleece Wind Training headband has never given him a reason to regret his choice. The soft wool blend added to the warmth and comfort during chilly hours, and as we compared notes, we realised that both Smartwool products feature similar thermal properties – with the exception of a windproof panel. This made the Wind Training headband stand out especially when skiing against the wind.
Additionally, this headband offers natural anti-odor properties that really come in handy if you are a frequent skier and use it regularly. Another practicality worth mentioning was that the reflective elements in the headband made visibility easier in low-light conditions.
- Soft-brushed Merino next to skin and recycled polyester against the elements to balance comfort and protection
- Windproof front panel for increased protection
- Reflective elements for visibility in low-light conditions
- CONTENT: Main Body: 46% Recycled Polyester, 38% Merino Wool, 16% Elastane. Overlay: 85% Nylon, 15% Elastane Exclusive Of Decoration …
3. Halo Illuminator V Headband
This headband looks aesthetically appealing. It also has a patented sweat seal that directs moisture away from my eyes and glasses. I also loved the hook-and-loop design that allowed for greater adjustability. It was comfortable and didn’t pull on my hair.
On top of that, the grip technology kept the band in place, even when I switched to skate skiing at a swift pace. So, all in all, this headband proved to be the perfect fit for my cross-country skiing needs.
- Highly reflective with microscopic glass beads to alert drivers to your presence
- Improve visibility at dawn, dusk, or nighttime with our new Illuminator Halo V Reflective Velcro Adjustable Headband
- Illuminates an ultra-bright white Halo effect when headlights shine on it
- Patented SweatBlock Seal channels sweat back and away from the eyes and face …
4. Skida Nordic Headband Men’s and Women’s
The first headband I tried proved to be a game-changer. Its lightweight combination of polyester and spandex keeps my ears and hair out of the way. Compared to the other headbands I tried, it offered the best stretchability and breathability. The latter helped me enjoy cross country ski trips much more by wicking away the hard-earned sweat from my face.
So when it comes to the best headband, I’d surely recommend this one. It kept my ears warm and my head cool.
5. TrailHeads Women’s Ponytail Headband
This headband proved to be the most durable. It is made with 87% polyester and 13% spandex, and the 4-way stretch works well during cross-country skiing. I also found the headband very breathable and comfortable. Since it was water-resistant, I could ski with it easily.
The headband’s contour fit provides full ear coverage, which kept me warm consistently and provided protection at all times. The 3-inch front and 4-inch ear covering was a form-fitting style for me.
On the downside, the ponytail hole is too low for some reason, so if you wear your ponytail higher up, it’s not ideal.
- 4-WAY STRETCH - The polyester/spandex with 4-way stretch, premium quality fabric of this sweat wicking headband is highly breathable and is water resistant. The brushed fleece interior feels soft and cozy against the skin.
- CONTOUR FIT – The contoured shape provides full ear coverage, keeping you warm and delivering protection where it’s needed most. This running headband is warm enough for chilly winter days but also lightweight enough for cool fall and spring workouts. Measures 3” at the front and 4” over the ears; one size fits most …
6. Craft Sportswear CORE Essence Thermal Headband
I fell in love with this Swedish headband because I could wear it in the most challenging situations. The Core Essence headband offers the best for dedicated athletes like me, as it dries quickly even in the most challenging conditions. The high-quality, soft, and highly stretchable polyester added to my comfort. More importantly, its excellent thermal properties ensured my comfort.
Another thing I loved was the eco-friendly design. The use of recycled polyester in this performance sportswear made it stand out. Also, the lightweight body provided excellent ventilation while skiing in the open.
- NORDIC PERFORMANCE: Designed in Sweden - a land blessed with 200 days of challenging conditions. Our highly functional CORE Essence Thermal Headband is built for dedicated athletes who work out with a purpose.
- COMFORT STRETCH: Made from soft, stretchy polyester with a brushed forehead for warmth and comfort …
7. TClian Women’s Ear Warmer Winter Headband
I started wearing this winter headband last year, and I have no complaints so far. It is one-size-fits-all, so I don’t have to adjust the headband all the time. Moreover, the soft and lightweight lining added comfort by not chafing my forehead. Although its polar fleece fabric is not as stretchy as I would prefer, this is a compromise one must make for a one-size-fits-all headwear.
The headband’s attractive color also appealed to my aesthetic sense. All in all, this headband easily makes it to my list of top 5.
- Contoured Shape Completely Covers Your Ears, Keep Your Ears Warm this Winter
- Warm Comfortable Soft Light Weight, You'll Forget You're Wearing Headband
- Perfect for Winter Running Yoga Skiing Snowboarding Hiking and Many More Outdoor Activities
- One Size Fits Most
- Free replacement guarantee. Please feel free to contact us whenever you have any problems. We will spare no efforts to handle it, make you satisfied …
8. KUTOLAKI Ear Warmers Headband
This ear warmer headband offers complete protection in winter and doesn’t move from its place during cross-country skiing. It is made of high-quality spandex and polyester, making it stretchable and breathable. Also, the 21-inch length offered excellent coverage.
The headband comes in black and gray color. It also offers fair longevity compared to its price, as most of our team wo used it vigorously through the early season hasn’t found any sign of wear and tear.
- 【Ear Warmers Headband】This ear warmer headbands is custom design for ear protecting in winter. With soft fleece earmuffs headband will protect your ears and keep ears warm when you exercise in the cold outside. And this winter earbands also suit as a thanksgiving gift, Christmas gift or new year gifts to your family or friends …
9. Buff DryFlx Headband
I found this headband to be the most moisture-resistant. Its 4-way ultra-stretch technology offered good elasticity and added comfort. The extra plus fabric lining of the headband transferred moisture off my skin, so it kept me dry, comfortable, and a happy skier.
This import-quality headband comes in an attractive color that matches my skiing clothes nicely. More importantly, it offered me 360-degree reflectivity, which increased my visibility, even in low light.
10. Patagonia Powder Town Headband
Since I have very sensitive skin, I always prefer products that are soft to the touch, which is why I fell in love with this headband. It is made from skin-friendly polyester material that ensures my comfort. I also look out for eco-friendly products, so I was thrilled to find out that this headband is made with recycled polyester fleece lining. It was moisture-wicking and felt great against my skin.
This product is also one of the most affordable ones in its category. Since I was running low on budget, I was more than happy to invest in it!