Table of Contents
Using a Ski Wax Kit for Cross-Country Skiing – a Beginner’s Guide
Cross country skiing is such a joyful adventure, but it is not fun at all if your ski shows resistance towards the snow. You need ski tuning kits and wax your skis to glide and get the most out of your skiing adventure. The layer protects your ski’s original coating. It is quite natural for this coating to start coming off due to the resistance and friction from the snow. Sky waxing kits protect this coat and make sure you glide through the snow-covered terrain like butter on a hot pan!
If you have a new ski, you can ski without waxing it. However, it is recommended that you do as waxing all kinds of skis only prolong their life and your thrill. After all, you don’t want to drag your way down while skiing when you can wax it regularly and see the difference it makes.
Best XC Ski Wax Kits in 2023
To avoid the friction and hence the resulting braking effect when you are cross country skiing, here are some of the best ski tuning kits, including the basic tools required, that we recommend for cross country ski waxing:
1. Demon Complete Basic Tune Kit with Wax
The new Demon Complete Basic Tune Kit is packed with 13 important items that are ideal for your cross-country skis and snowboard tuning. This handy kit can be used at home or on the go and includes a 133gms of Demon’s white lightening wax, polish brush, 7.5 inches wax scraper, metal scrapper, shavings brush, flat file, edge tuner (88 and 90 degrees’ options), tuning stone, wire brush, wax iron, white and black P-Tex, and an instruction guide – all packed in a great quality carry case.
The custom-built iron is perfect for all kinds of skis and comes with a lifetime guarantee. It is easy to use and heats up quickly. It has a convenient turn dial temperature gauge that you can set between 110 to 220 degrees C (230 to 428 degrees F). If you want some good speed on the slopes, the Demon Tune Kit with Wax is what you need.
- This Demon United Tune kit Comes with a Flat file, Edge tuner, Wax scraper, Tuning stone, 1 Wire brush, 133gm All Season Wax, Adjustable temp Iron, Polish pad, P-tex, and a Carry case.The case is high quality and can be hung vertically for easy access. The wax is Made in the USA Wax, Contains No PFC's, Made from High Grade Wax and Polymers. Includes Demon's Slide Iron which can easily switch from 110v to 220v for your travel needs …
2. Swix Ultimate Nordic Wax Kit
If you are a beginner who has no idea about waxing cross-country skis and ski tuning, the Swix North Wax kit is here to make things extremely easy for you. The kit comes in a good-sized bag that includes a wax iron, pocket edger, diamond disc sharpener, a multi-use brush, scrapper, natural cork, and the North Speed Brick universal wax, along with an additional screwdriver tool.
The wax iron has a temperature range of 80 to 170 degrees C (176 to 338 degrees F). The diamond disc sharpener and the pocket edger keep the edges smooth and sharp for some great skiing performance. The included all temperature wax for skis is made from eco-friendly components and is guaranteed to give your waxless cross-country skis the life they deserve.
3. Winterial Snowboard and Ski Tuning Kit
Whether you are new to the concept of ski waxing kits or are a pro at it; there is one compact kit that you can keep in your garage or take along on your skiing adventures – the Winterial Snowboard and Ski Tuning Kit.
The kit has a 4-ounce all-weather wax, a high-performance wax iron (with adjustable settings between 100 to 400 degrees F), wax apron with pockets, edge tool, plastic scrapper, steel scraper, 200gms rubbing stone, hardened file, and two P-Tex rods (black and white). The edge tuner provides precise edge angles of sharpening for 87, 88, 89, and 90 degrees. This ski waxing kit comes with an instruction manual with easy step-by-step instructions.
- COMPREHENSIVE KIT: Includes a multi-angle tuner, all-temperature wax, wax iron, and snowboard tuning essentials to keep your snow gear in top condition.
- COMPACT & LIGHTWEIGHT. All tools are packed in a compact, light carry bag for the ultimate traveling convenience!
- MULTI-ANGLE TUNER. Equipped with an Edge Tuner calibrated for 87, 88, 89 and 90 degrees for superior sharpening precision …
4. Demon Hyper Speed Ski & Snowboard Tune Kit
If you are looking for a great quality wax and ski repair kit, you must go for the best there is in the market – the Demon Hyper Speed Ski and Snowboard Tune Kit. It comes with 1lb of a waxblock, wax iron, and a base cleaner. The temperature of the Demon Iron can be adjusted from 65 to 230 degrees C (149 to 445 degrees F) and it comes with a lifetime guarantee.
Some other important tools include an edge tool (ideal for 88 and 90 degrees), shavings brush, a metal scraper, edge file, brass file brush, a 10 mm nylon brush, an 8mm horsehair brush, two P-Tex (clear and black), wax scraper, citrus base cleaner, two ski brake retainers, polish pad, and a handy instruction manual.
All these important elements come in a great quality bag with multiple pockets to conveniently organizing your tools. If you are looking for a super-fast glide, this could be the kit for you.
- Demon Hyper Speed Ski & Snowboard Tune Kit with Iron, 1lb Wax Block & Base Cleaner - Premium Ski and Snowboard Tuning and Wax Kits
- This Demon United Tune kit Comes with a Flat file, Edge tuner, Wax scraper, Tuning stone, 1 Wire brush, 1.06 Lbs of All Season Wax, Adjustable temp Iron, Polish pad, P-tex, and a Carry case.The case is high quality and can be hung vertically for easy access. The wax is Made in the USA Wax, Contains No PFC's, Made from High Grade Wax and Polymers. Includes Demon's Slide Iron which can easily switch from 110v to 220v for your travel needs …
5. RaceWax Complete Ski Snowboard Wax Tuning Kit
The RaceWax Complete Ski Snowboard Wax Tuning Kit is a waxing-store in itself! Loaded with all the tools and important ski tuning equipment you will ever need, the kit comes with a super handy edge tool that determines the edge angles and works on 20 different angles for both the base as well as the sides. The wax iron has a temperature range of 80 to 170 degrees C (176 to 338 degrees F) and boasts a super thick textured baseplate that distributes the material perfectly. The kit also includes two bars of Swix wax (60 grams each), two wax scrapers (one for the ski and the other one for snowboard), and a metal scraper (with a vinyl storage case) along with a brush kit.
The brush kit has three types of brushes: nylon, brass, and horsehair. The brass brush is for brushing off stubborn pieces of wax and for renewing your XC ski base structure. The nylon brush removes wax easily, whereas the horsehair brush is great for polishing the base.
The RaceWax Complete Ski Snowboard Wax Kit also comes with a Swix Gummi tuning stone (for removing rust), a 70 mm blue diamond stone (for maintaining and sharpening edges), two P-Tex (one clear and one black), and two large brake retainers. All of these come in a large storage bag which is nicely compartmentalized – so much so that you can fit in some more of your tools!
- RaceWax Universal Ski Snowboard Wax Tuning Kit - Everything you need to get started waxing and tuning your own skis and snowboards!
- Temperature adjustable 1000W RaceWax wax iron (120 volt) with a double-thick baseplate dimpled and grooved for excellent wax distribution. Temperature range of 80-170 C (176-338 F). 120 volts and 1000 watts. North American standard plug …
Using these cross-country ski waxes is the best way to protect your skis for the long run. Applying wax for cross-country skis is very important not just for their maintenance, but also for getting the maximum fun out of your gliding adventures.
If you think waxing is a tedious job, or your (waxless or otherwise) cross country skiing equipment does not need to be waxed, you need to introduce yourself to a great ski waxing kit and then see the difference. Happy gliding!