The winter season brings with it joy, laughter, and a longing to ski with friends. I have been a skier all my life and have tried on some of the most popular ski and snowboard racks and accessories on my trips. Here are some of the things I recommend for anyone looking to revolutionize their skiing experience this snowy season.
Best Ski Racks for Off-Season Storage
Monkey Bars Storage Cross Country Ski Rack
As an avid cross country skier I had invested in a couple of quality skis for myself. Since it was a huge investment, I was always very particular about how my skis were going to be stored during the off-season. This monkey bar storage rack was not only highly durable, but it could also handle up to 200 pounds. So, despite my rough handling, my ski was not vulnerable to any potential damage, and I could store four skis at one time.
Furthermore, I was happy with the choice of attachments that I was given. I tried the zip-tie solution and was really impressed with it. It helped the hooks clip on the ski securely and ensured that I could keep all four units on one rack easily.
Another thing that I was concerned about was installation. I had tried most ski racks before, but none of them provided me with this much ease. The directions on the product are easy to follow, and it comes with fairly long screws. This minimized the effort I had to put in and saved me a lot of time.
StoreYourBoard Horizontal Wall-mount Ski Storage Rack
This was one of the first skiboard racks that I ever bought. I chose to invest in it because it was one-fold, and I didn’t regret my purchase. From good durability to a good aesthetic appeal, everything that I wanted to kick-start my skiing career was right here.
For starters, the model was quite compact and allowed me to stay organized. Secondly, it allowed for horizontal installation and helped protect my ski from possible scrapes or damages.
Luckily, everything I needed, from the mounting instructions to all the hardware, came with the package. All I needed was a screwdriver and a drill to install this rack. Furthermore, the ability to store my ski along with all of my other gear in one place made me quite happy with the purchase.
- Affordable Ski Rack
- Heavy Duty and Durable
- Holds Up to 3 Pairs of Skis
- Horizontal Storage
- Great for other gear also - Snowboards, Skateboards,Water Skis, Etc.
Koova Snow Ski Rack Wall Mount for Indoor Storage
This brand needs no introduction and is revered by loyal fans. However, my reasons for selecting this rack were entirely different. I had long been looking for a model that offered a good warranty along with excellent durability. The Koova snow rack did more than please me. It is crafted by powder-coated steel that enhanced its durability and made it stronger. This ensured that my unit didn’t break – for a good two years for sure.
Additionally, I had bought this very expensive ski rack for myself and my husband. So I wasn’t ready to trust any poor quality racks. Koova exceeded my expectations and didn’t put any stress on the tips of my ski. This not only kept them in perfect shape but also protected them from any changes in the weather. Furthermore, I didn’t have to hire a professional to install my unit. The instructions didn’t include a lot of jargon, and so they were easy to follow.
- ULTIMATE SKI ORGANIZER: Koova Snow Ski Rack is a sturdy, space-saving storage system for your snow skis, poles, even small snowboards. Constructed to last a lifetime, mount on a garage, mudroom, or hallway wall. Keep everything in one place within reach!
- EASY INSTALL: Installation is hassle-free, no assembly required, hangs in minutes with just a socket wrench and screwdriver (includes mounting hardware). Place anywhere indoors. Perfect for a family or rental. Everyone will know where to store the skis! …
StoreYourBoard Freestanding Ski Storage Rack
This freestanding rack is one of the three top models for me. I had long been looking for a convenient rack that required no installation. Then I came across this great storage rack. The best thing about it is that I didn’t have to drill any holes in my walls.
Apart from being very lightweight, this unit was also compact, a feature that instantly impressed me. However, I soon became worried about its durability. A lot of models I had tried offered portability at the cost of sturdiness. Luckily for me, this was not such a unit. It was made with rigid plastic that was molded to ensure great strength. All this ensured that I could get the best of both worlds.
- EASY, PORTABLE SKI STORAGE: no installation or mounting required = no holes in your walls
- STANDARD SIZE FITS: 5 pairs of skis tails up to 115mm
- WIDE SIZE FITS: 4 pairs of skis with tails up to 140mm
- HEAVY DUTY DESIGN: molded, rigid plastic is strong to support your skis; great for families, ski teams, lodges, and more …
StoreYourBoard Vertical Ski Wall Storage Rack
To be fairly honest, this wasn’t a rack that I liked instantly. It looked very plain and didn’t fascinate me as such. However, my close friends had suggested this model, and I was compelled to try it once. Since it was not expensive, I wasn’t too hesitant to give it a try either.
To this day, I still regret not having invested in this unit sooner. It is a 3-inch wide and 4.5-inch tall rack. These dimensions were comfortable enough for me to keep all of my gear. Moreover, I loved that the model allowed for quick and easy installation. All the hardware I needed, as well as the instructions, were included in the package.
Furthermore, I wasn’t expecting an inexpensive model like this one to offer good compatibility. However, I was amazed to know that this unit was good enough to hold twin-tip skis, parabolic skis, fat or wide skis, or even a couple skis. All this was a source of great comfort for my husband and me.
- Affordable Ski Rack
- Heavy Duty and Durable
- Holds Up to 3 Pairs of Skis
- Horizontal Storage
- Great for other gear also - Snowboards, Skateboards,Water Skis, Etc.
Premium Freestanding Ski Rack
I thought I had used every great unit out there, but I was wrong. My friend had recently developed a knack for the sport, and I was as excited as she was to conquer the snow. On her last birthday, I decided to give her a ski rack. I chose this freestanding rack for two reasons; versatility and ease of usage.
Since my friend was still new to the sport, I didn’t want her to feel intimidated by having to buy separate racks and storage bags for each equipment. This freestanding ski rack was large enough to keep skateboards, scooters, snowboards, and all other ski-related equipment altogether. Moreover, it came with compartments that allowed my friend to stay organized. I was also very particular about ease of usage being probably the most versatile ski rack I have tried. My friend also loved the fact that it could hold three skis.
- DURABLE: This ski rack is made out of premium and sustainably sourced birch to ensure you have the most effective and safe ski storage rack. This ensures that this ski holder is sturdy and built to last.
- VERSATILE: This rack is multiple use and can serve as a sports equipment organizer for garage. This holder is compatible with storing skis, snowboard, scooters, ripstick, skateboards, and more …
Best Ski Roof Racks for Cars
Thule SnowPack Ski/Snowboard Rack
Thule has always been a well-recommended brand in the market, but that is not why I chose to invest in this model. I was looking for a ski board for my teenage kid and knew that I had to get him something visually appealing. He wanted to go skiing with his friends, and a plain design would not bode well with him. This design by Thule was a showstopper. It not only looked bold but also boasted high durability. In short, it had everything that my son needed to make a mark on the field.
Once the package came, it was exactly what I had hoped for. My son absolutely loved the design and was very eager to try it. As a precaution, I tested out the ski and snowboard carrier. The model held its grip and managed to exceed expectations in a lot of other areas. The design was simple, and I only spent a few minutes on the installation. Moreover, it came with an added clearance that enhanced protection for the ski and further added to its appeal.
- Aerodynamic rooftop rack for all types of skis and snowboards
- Fits up to 6 pairs of skis or 4 snowboards
- Securely holds thicker skis and snowboards with vertical spring system
- Ultra-soft rubber arms grip without scratching
- Oversized push button to easily open while wearing gloves
- Anti-theft system locks skis to carrier and carrier to rack …
Leader Accessories Car Ski Snowboard Roof Racks
If you live in very harsh and unpredictable weather, this ski and snowboard rack is for you. It has a smooth aluminum construction that enhances its durability. Not only that but unlike many others in the market, the unit offered higher corrosion resistance.
Additionally, the unit came with a super soft rubber grip profile that enhanced comfort. I could install or detach it whilst wearing gloves. Moreover, it came with an excellent metal hook lock system that not only kept my gear safe but also made me feel at peace. I was also happy with the low cost of the unit.
- [Low Temperature Resistance] - Aluminum construction is durable and supremely corrosion resistant. Utra-soft rubber grip profile to hold your skis, snowboards without scratching the surfaces ,and keep soft at 40 degrees below zero.
- [ Extended Size & Multipurpose ] - 26 Inches internal length，Fits up to 6 pairs of skis or 4 Snowboards at most (side by side and back to back)，depend on your skis' or snowboards' width, is also ideal for carrying fishing rods, paddles, ski poles and water skis, to leave room on your car …
MENABO Magnetic Ski Carrier
To be truly honest, this was one model that I invested in very hastily. My ski rack had broken two days before my ski trip, and I was desperate to invest in a suitable model. Without any prior research, I decided to order this magnetic carrier online. But unlike other hasty decisions in my life, this one didn’t come with any repercussions. The unit did not only appear great but also boasted exciting features.
I loved the magnetic exterior that ensured greater safety for my ski. The magnets allowed me to mount my skis on top instantly. Moreover, the model is extremely durable. I also liked the locking system that provided extra protection for my ski. All in all, if you too are looking to invest in a non-traditional rack that offers good reliability, then here is an excellent pick for you.
Thule SkiClick Carrier
I had a large ski, and I couldn’t find a suitable ski and snowboard carrier for it. This was mostly because most racks on the market were quite heavy and didn’t come with good portability. Moreover, the heavier and larger units were very difficult to install. I was on the lookout for one rack that could allow me to enjoy the best of both worlds. Luckily for me, I stumbled upon this unique roof mounted ski rack. I instantly decided to purchase it because it was a durable model that wasn’t very heavy. It was both compact and lightweight, features that allowed me to experience greater ease of usage.
Moreover, this was one of the only ski racks that offered complete safety. It came with padded straps that enhanced functionality and allowed for good protection against bumps on the road. Furthermore, I could attach this unit with the roof racks or the wall with a simple click, making things easy for me.
- For safe, transport of cross-country skis
- Innovative 3-in-one solution, a ski carrier with ski strap and wall storage functionality
- Smart, space-saving design
- Attaches to walls and roof racks with a simple click
- Fits all Thule bar load carriers
- Minimum wind drag for less fuel consumption
- Thin material packs up tight when not used …
Best Ski Bags
Dakine Fall Line Ski Roller Travel Bag
Many things made this bag stand out. It came with 360-degree padded protection. This not only enhanced safety for my ski but also put me at ease. I was also impressed with the main zipper that boasted a lockable design—this further aided protection for my ski.
I loved this bag so much that I decided to take it with me to Europe. This was my dream tour, and I only wanted to take the best equipment with me. Luckily for me, this unit exceeded expectations and allowed me to put my skis and all related accessories inside comfortably.
- Holds 2pr skis and 1pr boots, poles and outerwear, 360° padded ski protection, End handle pairs with rolling luggage for one-handed operation, Removable boot bag
- #10 YKK lockable main zipper, Durable, over-sized 9cm urethane wheels, Exterior zippered pocket, Packs down tight for easy storage
- 600D Recycled Polyester ripstop with water repellent finish, bluesign approved materials …
Premium Padded Ski Bag for Air Travel – Single Ski Carry Bags for Cross Country Skis
As a ski enthusiast, I love skiing in exotic locations, but one hassle that comes with doing so is not finding the right bag to carry skis with me. Most bags I looked at either exceeded the capacity limit or were too small. However, this one really caught my eye.
This bag was everything I wanted. It was large enough to fit my 180 cm ski comfortably. Not only that, but it also came with adjustable straps that provided extra protection. With the addition of the clips to keep the ski firmly, I was convinced that I could travel in peace. Another thing that I couldn’t help but appreciate was the internal webbings. These ensured greater stability for my ski and kept it firmly in place.
- Premium padded ski bag for air travel. One size fits up to 200cm skis with cushioned adjustable roll top. Safely secured with clips to hold firm. Length is adjustable, 177cm (rolled) to 210cm (unrolled). Purchase with confidence that you will always get the correct size.
- Single ski carry bags with internal webbing to hold skis. Create a stable spine for the bag that does not move so you can arrange all your other gear around it safely. Ski carrier travel case for cross country, downhill, ski clothes, gear, poles and accessories for men and women …
High Sierra Ski Bag & Ski Boot Bag Combo
I loved that this bag and boot bag combo was well within my range. My 200 cm ski could fit comfortably inside the ski bag, and the boot bag was large enough to hold my 10-inch women’s sandals. I also loved the use of a water-resistant fabric for the construction.
I usually preferred going on my ski trips on foot. This required me to use a bag that could withstand any changes in the weather. This Sierra bag combo came with nylon coil zippers and a corrosion and water-resistant body that appeased to all my needs. Moreover, the unit was easy to clean. All I needed was a damp cloth, and I was good to go.
- Ski bag has a 3/4 length zipper and holds up to 200 cm skis; one end can fold to secure shorter skis.
- Boot bag holds a single pair of ski boots up to size 13.
- Durable water-resistant fabric. Self-repairing nylon coil zippers.
- For all winter sports needs
Racks are popular for their durability and general appeal. However, many people also like them for the diversity they offer. Some common rack types include:
Ski Storage Racks
I have tried my fair share of ski storage racks over the years and have reached one simple conclusion; never invest in a rack that doesn’t offer resistance against corrosion. This is why I always look out for construction material. Models that offer good durability and strength tend to also offer resistance against moisture and corrosion. This is important to remember because your rack, along with your ski, will be unused for long durations of time during the off-season.
Roof racks need to be durable, efficient, and very secure. You will need a roof rack whenever you have to transport your skis. I always go for roof racks that hold their place and come with a good locking mechanism. This not only keeps my ski protected but also makes me feel at ease.
When I am traveling long-distance, I tend to keep my skis in cargo box to keep them safe. Cargo boxes are huge and offer less stability. However, I choose this option only when I have to transport multiple units at the same time. Some things to look for when seeking cargo boxes include durability, weight, and, most importantly, price.
Hitch racks have been quite popular for quite some time now. However, I only felt the need to invest in one quite recently. These are usually attached on hitch mounts and come with a specific weight capacity. Such racks make loading skis and snowboards easier and allow you to carry a lot of gear.
Considerations of Roof Racks
Just because I find a product amazing doesn’t mean you will too. At the end of the day, the choice of rack boils down to one thing; your needs. Here is everything you need to consider before you invest in a roof rack.
Vehicle and Crossbar Compatibility
There is nothing as important as compatibility. You can get the best ski rack in the market, but if it isn’t the right size or comes with an incompatible crossbar, then you would have wasted your money. This is why I suggest you take your car and ski along with you when you purchase the roof rack. Also, keep the dimensions in mind before making the final purchase.
Capacity of Gear
It’s always suggested that you look at the capacity of the gear before making a choice. Additionally, the roof capacity needs to be considered. Most roofs only allow for a capacity of 165 pounds. This is why you should invest in a rack that’s not too heavy.
There are a couple of attachment styles that roof racks offer. Out of all these, clamps are the easiest. However, you can choose an attachment style that best fits your needs.
As the name suggests, these roof racks offer unmatched compatibility. Due to the universal mounting system, you can use them with all kinds of skis and other gear. Moreover, these racks fit most cars on the market. You may sometimes need additional accessories and universal mounting hardware to properly secure the rack on the roof.
This is a very efficient way of carrying a roof rack. The best thing about this style is that it minimizes the overall weight placed on your roof. Apart from protecting your roof, this also has the added benefit of allowing you to keep as much skiing equipment on top as you want.
I loved this attachment style because it offers full protection for the ski gear. This comes with a door-jam that will hold the roof rack in place. So regardless of the changes in movement or speed, the roof rack stays firmly in position.
Skiing is so much fun that even the thought of it can give you a quick adrenaline rush. But many people miss out on so much because they keep worrying about small things like ski transport and storage. My skiing experience took a 360-degree turn when I used the ski and snowboard racks and accessories reviewed above. These not only helped make me a better adventurer but also allowed me to up my overall game. If you want to conquer snow this season, I recommend you give these products a try.